Museum of Slavonia in Osijek was founded in 1877 when merchant Franjo Sedlakovic donated a numismatic collection to the city. The former Museum of the Free and Royal City of Osijek was built on citizens' donations at first. Along with Sedlakovic, the most important donors are Franjo Nuber, a wholesaler and collector, and Vjekoslav Celestin, a longtime curator. They are all considered to be the founders of the Museum of Slavonia.
Since its foundation, the Museum has been moved a lot and it has been filling its fundus to become one of the oldest and largest museums of the general type in Croatia today. If you have rented an apartment, room or holiday house in Osijek or its surroundings, do not miss the opportunity to visit the Magistrate building on the oldest square in Osijek Holy Trinity Square (Trg Sv. Trojstva) where the Museum of Slavonia resides from 1946. A year later, the Museum got its present name, and since 1994 has the national museum's status. In the spring of 2012, the Archaeological Museum in Osijek was annexed to the Museum of Slavonia, whose exhibition is located in the another building in the same square.
The Museum of Slavonia has more than 150 collections today with three permanent exhibitions: "Lapidarium", "History" and "The migration of people and the Middle Ages". The Museum library is highlighted by the local collection "Essekiana" which includes prints that testify of the history of Osijek and its cultural and social life from the first press to the present. Apart from the exhibitions, the Museum of Slavonia is a place that is still significant in the social fabric of the city with many workshops, concerts and meetings are held here. More information about the work of the Museum of Slavonia at: email@example.com or +385250731.